BLACKJACK LAND & CATTLE COMPANY: ANGEL'S TRIP TO THE VET

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ANGEL'S TRIP TO THE VET

"Shelby" patiently waiting at the vet's!

We went to the vet today for "Angel's" recheck. He said that it definitely was a vaccine reaction that turned into a abscess. It was a huge abscess and she had swelling down her throat and back to her neck. He didn't want to lance it, because it was deep. We decided it would cause more problems, so he drained it using a 14 gauge 1 1/2 inch needles. And probably got out about 1/2 cup of stuff. We have to drain it Friday and Monday to see if we can get the rest out. I will finish out her antibiotics and give Bute as needed. He did say that hopefully if we get it all drained out she should be back to normal in a couple of weeks. So she will continue to have this break from her normal riding. (I am sure she is enjoying it!) I did ask about what would we do next year? He said the Rabies shot lasts 2-3 years (so we can skip that) but he did suggest continue giving the others, the risk is to high if you don't. He did say what he would do would be to give 2 at a time-one in the chest and one in the rump. And then give the next ones 1-2 weeks after. That way if she has a reaction we will know which one it was. Several people I have talked to about this have said they have had horses that have had reactions to the Flu-Rhino and then the West Nile. I do know I am going to be doing a lot of research on vaccines and the need for this area before next year. You know it is scary that this happened, but if I do not give her the vaccines she could be a risk to get the diseases. It is a hard decision and one we will be researching and praying about.

10 comments:

I'm Mikey said...

Wow, a lot has happened. Poor Angel! I've had one horse swell up, but not that bad! Geez! I hope she gets better soon!
It's hard to make the decision about the vaccine. I like what your vet suggested, giving them a couple weeks apart so you know which one is the problem.
Friend of mine, every time she wormed her horse he'd break out in awful hives, really bad. They wouldn't quit. Dex would stop them, but 3 days later they'd be back. She finally trailered him to a friend in CO and left him for a month in the colder climate. He finally came out of it and has been hive free since, but she's afraid to worm him ever again.
Strange things that go on with horses, I tell ya!

And oh yeah :) I am charging those batteries on the dune buggy. She has the "Bobcat" we call it, but it's probably the same as your front end loader. That's why I bought the dune buggy, it had no charger and used up batteries, but I have the charger! Now if I can get her to quit thinking it's funny to run me over....

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

Oh Kris-I hope Angel recovers quickly.

Nonna said...

Glad to hear Angel is getting better gradually. Im sure she will be back to normal before you know it.

Abraham Lincoln said...

Wow. An interesting post to read. Glad things are getting better.

Nonna said...

Been to Cedar Creek Lake as a kid! I grew up half of my childhood in Athens. We moved from there to here when I was 12.

Jennifer said...

Glad to hear that Angel is on the mend.

Um...hello...I think you forgot to mention a VERY important event that also happened 2 days ago!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BIG SIS!!!!

Love you,
Jen :-)

P.S. Sorry...I couldn't resist!

OneCowgirl said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Glad Angel is better. How scary! I've never heard of giving a rabies shot to a horse - did I miss something? I do know I let the vet give my cat a 5 year rabies shot and it made her sick, irritable and stiff. I usually only give my horses west nile and the five way flu shot - but some old cowboys never give their horses any shots...

Callie said...

Holy crud! That stinks. Did the vet say which vaccine more than likely caused the reaction? My girls reacted last year when I had them vaccinated. This year I'm staggering the vacs. Hope she does well and starts feeling better.

Carroll Farm said...

Glad to hear it is fixable. I am sure that she is enjoying her 'break'. :) I would stagger instead of not at all, the risk is too high.

BarnGoddess said...

Im relieved to hear she is okay!

worries!!!

glad you'll be able to work thru it and it wont happen again (we hope!)

I am pretty sure Angel is enjoying her vacation...