BLACKJACK LAND & CATTLE COMPANY: BOOK REVIEW

Thursday, October 16, 2008

BOOK REVIEW

A couple of weeks ago I recieved a email to do a book review on 2 horse books by Jenny Oldfield. They are Juvenile fiction for ages 9 & up. I recevied my books and have just finished the last one. I was very impressed overall by both books. Very clean horse releated fun in each book. That is hard to find this day and age.



The first book I read was Wild Horses. The main character is Kirstie Scoot and she lives for horses. (my kind of girl!) The setting is Half Moon Ranch her Grand parents ranch. She moved there when she was 9 years old. The ranch is located at the end of a 5 mile dirt road off Route 3 out of San Luis. A small town with only a grocery store, gas station and one main street. After her grand father's death they turned the ranch into a small vacation center for paying guests. Which included lodging, meals, trail rides, etc. She is leading a horse trek through Miner's Ridge when a land slide causes her to be trapped alone with a wild proud stallion. The stallion is injured during the land slide and Kirstie and another lone man help the stallion with his wounds and form a lasting bond. It is a great story, even though there interruption of ranching and use of words is different than ours here. I would highly recommend it to any horse crazy girl.


The second book I read was Rodeo Rocky. Kirstie Scott is the main character again and it takes place on Half Moon Ranch as well. It is alittle slow to start and the rodeo lingo she uses it different from ours, but all in all a good book. While Kirstie and the guests from the ranch are at a local rodeo she sees a horse being beaten and stricken to be ridden by a cowboy. Her heart goes out to this horse and she feels a instant connection with him. She conceives her mother to buy the horse and takes him back to the ranch. She begins working with the horse and builds his trust and eventually winds up riding him on trail rides. He has a set back on the trail one day and she realizes she has to trust the horse to get her home safely. Another good book by Jenny Oldfield that I would recommend as well.

7 comments:

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

Those look good, I'll have to check them out next time we get to the library.

Have you ever read the Phantom Stallion series, by Terri Farley? I haven't read all of the books, but I love the series. Definitely for horse lovers

Callie said...

Cool! I never could get into reading. I just get bored about 4-5 chapters in and put it down. I've tried everything. I just get bored! But they do sound cool.

Andrea said...

Don't you just love horse books and movies that get the horse lingo all wrong!! LOL!! I love them. I think it makes them funny and entertaining! I will have to tell my sister about these. He daughter is horse crazy!!

Lavonda Pflug said...

I happened on your blog through CWO. I grew up the daughter of a cowboy, riding horses before I could sit alone. I married a city dude and for the past 27 years... I miss the ranch life. Dad is still at it in Oklahoma and my sis and brother-in-law are managers of the 6666. So when I need to smell horse sweat I know where to go. But I enjoyed your pictures today! Thanks.

Carroll Farm said...

Love those pictures! Sounds like good books. I will have to hunt them down for my girls.

Front Porch Society said...

Don't you just LOVE a good horse book?!? Even at age 30, I still love to read my Black Stallion books... :)

Pony Girl said...

Those sound great! I will have to check out my local Barnes and Noble. I really love books like this. In fact, it was my dream to write a youth horsey series someday! I still hope to! ;)